I just recently finished my “Introduction to World Spices and Herbs” class and one of my assignments was to make fresh pesto. I love the bright herby flavor of pesto and it’s very versatile. You can make pasta or zucchini noodles and toss them with pesto, use pesto on a wrap or sandwich and it’s also delicious on chicken or fish.
I had pesto left over from my assignment and was looking for a way to use it for dinner. I had some salmon filets that I bought on special but didn’t have a plan on how I was going to prepare it. I decided to use the pesto, a few tbsp of fresh lemon juice, and the oven- voila- dinner was ready in under 15 minutes! This is a simple, healthy and everyday meal. Hope you try this delicious recipe! I served the salmon with a side of brussels sprouts for dinner and we also had left over salmon with eggs the next morning for a quick breakfast.
- 3-4 salmon fillets (The ones I buy are pre-cut to about 5 ounces and I prefer skin on- this peels off easily once cooked)
- Pesto (see the recipe for pesto here)
- Juice of 1 whole lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place salmon skin side down in a metal baking dish. I used a round 8 inch dish.
- Squeeze half of the lemon onto the fish, salt and pepper to taste
- Spoon pesto onto salmon fillets and spread with the back on the spoon until you have a good thickness of pesto covering the top of each fillet.
- Place under broiler for about 8 minutes for a piece that it 1-2 inches in thickness. You can add more time depending on how thick the salmon is and how cooked through you want it to be.
- Remove the skin before eating and enjoy with a favorite vegetable or side. I love to serve salmon with Brussels sprouts or asparagus.