I love this meal! Zuppa Toscana is a delicious Italian soup with sausage, onion, kale and potatoes. It is usually made with heavy cream but I added coconut milk to give it a slight creaminess and a healthier spin.
It has been cold recently in Colorado Springs and this is the perfect meal to make when it’s snowing outside! Serve it with some crispy bread or a great big Italian salad.
Hope you try it out and enjoy!
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage (I like to use spicy Italian sausage)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- about 8-10 small red potatoes, washed and sliced very thin
- 2-3 handfuls of chopped kale with the stems removed (you can put more or less depending on your liking)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups of coconut milk (make sure to shake the can well before adding in the coconut milk to the soup)
- 1 tsp of Italian seasoning blend
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional- you don’t have to use it if you are using spicy sausage)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot over medium high heat add a little olive oil or coconut oil and onion. Saute for 2 minutes
- Add in the Italian sausage and stir to brown sausage for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, Italian seasoning blend, red pepper flakes, and a little salt and pepper. Saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and potatoes and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add in the kale and coconut milk and allow to simmer for another 5 minutes or until heated through and the potatoes and kale are tender.
- Adjust the seasoning, serve, and enjoy!